Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Follow Your Bliss - Artist Tamara Holland

Personalized and inspirational art, perhaps on demand, seems to be a trend that has been spreading like a wild fire. I saw lots of it at the Atlanta Gift show a few weeks ago and I keep bumping into it as I review other publications and emerging artist's websites. To further illustrate this point artist Tamara Holland will share her story with us.

The Moon from My Attic: Can you tell us a bit about yourself and your art? I'm a post-conviction death penalty defense attorney by training and an artist by luck. I started doing paper-arts projects with girlfriends about 10 years ago and my art (and now art business) morphed from there. I'm also a mom of grown kids and am going to be a grandma this spring.

Artist Tamara Holland
TMFMA: What is exciting about your creative work? The whole thing. All of my visual art to me is a surprise - that I am producing it at all and what it looks like as it changes over time. I never thought of myself as an artist because I cannot draw at all, while many of my family members are amazing at that. So, to me it is exciting to be playing at this and to see what comes forth.

TMFMA: Is there a person or thing that has influenced you in your artistic efforts? What inspires you? Julia Cameron's "The Artist's Way" transformed my creative expression. I worked that book at the same time I was starting to play with paper arts with friends. All my life I thought my creativity channeled itself in writing - when it turned out I've got this visual side, too. I'm not sure that door in my thinking about creativity would have opened without "The Artist's Way."

TMFMA: What project are you currently working on? I'm working on images for what I think of as two different lines of my own because their styles are so different. I'm also writing copy for three lines with my partners at Morning Coffee Productions. And I am starting a novel. I also have a budding sales rep business for other greeting card artists.

© Tamara Holland
TMFMA: Tell us of your experience as an art licensing artist. Again, total luck. For a couple of years I'd been getting my greeting cards printed locally, selling them on my own and with two reps, and fulfilling all the orders each week. Last fall I made a business plan with artist and consultant Lisa Sonora Beam - where we set as a goal that I investigate licensing. I went as part of that to a Saturday meeting of the Bay Area Licensing Artists - where, as luck would have it, I sat around a table with who turned out to become my licensing agent and my business partners in Morning Coffee Productions. Through Montage Licensing a happy chunk of my images are now licensed by wonderful Calypso Cards. In more good luck, Thirstystone has licensed a set of images for production on their coasters, plates and trivets.

TMFMA: Any important tips and tricks you can share or anything else you'd like to share? Half of my "advice" (because I think things work differently for everyone, and you should trust what works for you) is from Joseph Campbell: "Follow your bliss." When you spend time doing what you love and believe in the energy flow of the world seems to respond better and you are happier while you are doing it, too.

© Tamara Holland
The other half of my advice is to work your butt off - in what you produce, in getting it out there in the world, in meeting and helping other people, in figuring out what works and what doesn't, and what you want to try next.

TMFMA: What are your future aspirations and goals? To keep manifesting the stuff that for whatever reason chooses me to make it. Right now, those are the lines I'm working on. This years' novel. Getting two screenplays I've already written out into the world. And seeing what else wants to come on in. And being a good grandma.

Find out more about Tamara at: www.beanupthenoseart.com


© Tamara Holland

© Tamara Holland


3 comments:

Dian said...

So proud to be connected to you Ms Holland!

Tamara Holland said...

I feel really lucky to be appearing here, Alex! Thank you so much for inviting me to your happy space, and for painting me in such a positive light. Much appreciation for the work you do.

Heidi Rand said...

Wonderful profile of a dynamic, generous, inspriring artist!