Monday, August 6, 2012

Evolving Styles and Inspirational Imagery - Licensed Artist Susan Winget


You've probably heard the saying that people buy not so much based on logic but based on emotion. There is usually a subtle, emotional aspect involved, no matter how coldly logical and practical a purchase may seem. This video titled "The Carousel" (from the TV series Mad Man) illustrates this point really well, and it's also a good marketing lesson for those interested in getting their own art out there.

As artists, we try to inspire people with our works and vice versa we also get influenced by other artists through their techniques, compositions, and by their distinctive imagination.

Susan Winget's art is very inspiring indeed, through her high quality execution, themes and vision. So I am very thrilled to feature her this week!

Artist Susan Winget
The Moon from My Attic: Please introduce yourself - Hello, and thank you for the opportunity to interview on your blog! My name is Susan Winget and I am an artist in Charlotte, North Carolina. I have always loved art and began painting small watercolor paintings from my home when my husband, Al, and I started our family. One thing led to another and I have now been in the art licensing business for over twenty years! I never imagined my artwork and studio would become what it is today... definitely beyond my wildest dreams! To read my full "story" please visit my website.

TMFMA: What brought you to art in the first place? Art has always been a big part of my life. As a child I loved drawing and painting and dreamt of being an artist when I grew up - well that or a veterinarian (I love animals, too!) Being creative has always been a part of my day to day life and I am so fortunate to be able to make a living sharing this gift with others.

© Susan Winget - Butterfly Music
TMFMA: What's exciting about your creative work? The thing I get most excited about in my creative work is that it is changing all of the time. Over the years my work has evolved in ways I never imagined. I love experimenting with different styles and imagery and I'm always trying to "lean" into new trends and opportunities that will expand my portfolio.

TMFMA: What's your favorite medium or tool/s you create with? Watercolor is my medium of choice. I love the way the water and paint blend as my brush dances across the page - the paintings truly take on a life of their own. I also love my watercolor crayons - the look achieved from the layering and mixing of the paint and crayons is fabulous, and also fun to do.

© Susan Winget - Dragonfly & Bird
TMFMA: Who or what has inspired you in your art? My work is primarily inspired by my family, nature, and the wonderful artists I work with everyday. Al and I live on a farm where I am surrounded by the plants, birds, and other creatures that often make an appearance in my artwork. It is also my hope that my paintings would convey the love of family and warmth of home that I experience everyday on our farm. My latest little inspiration is my granddaughter, Mary, who recently turned one! Of course, I am also inspired by many great artists throughout history like Edgar Degas, Mary Cassatt, and Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec.

TMFMA: How long have you been doing art licensing? I have been in the licensing world for twenty years. My path to this industry was unique. Lang began publishing some of my watercolor paintings on greeting cards and after that I was fortunate to be approached by an agent. She taught me the ins and outs of the industry and I loved the new challenges that art licensing presented. From there, my studio learned how to make our art more dimensional for all kinds of products and textiles... I have been hooked ever since!

© Susan Winget - Rooster
TMFMA: Do you work with an agent or do you represent yourself? To me, working with an art agency is so important. When I started working with the agents at Courtney Davis Inc. my brand expanded immensely. I am so thankful to be able to focus on creating art while they handle marketing my brand and finding new ways to license my artwork.

TMFMA: What do you think the main trends are for 2012-2013? For my studio, the themes of nature continue to dominate. Flowers, birds, and butterflies continue to bring success. The bohemian style is definitely a major trend right now. The rich colors and funky patterns are so much fun to play with! It also continues to be important to add meaning to the artwork and designs through sentiment. I believe inspirational work continues to be on the rise.

© Susan Winget - Lighthouse & Fence
TMFMA: What advice would you give other artists that are considering the art licensing field? First, you need to create everyday. This is vital to finding your true "voice" and unique style to offer the licensing world. Also, you must be willing try new ideas and accept the opportunities and challenges that present themselves along the way. Listen to what the industry wants, keep up with trends, and enjoy the challenge. You never know what blessings await!

TMFMA: Any other useful info that you'd like to share about art licensing? My studio has recently accepted the saying, “be the hummingbird.” As hummingbirds are constantly seeking out the sweet nectar, we to have to try our best to search out the sweet stuff. Rejection is a part of this industry - not everything you create will become a success. But it is important, and vital, to focus on the positives. Remember to celebrate each success as it comes!

2 comments:

Steve Haskamp said...

Nice interview! I really enjoy Susan's work and it is nice to hear a bit more about how she works and what inspires her.

Karla Dornacher said...

Great interview Alex. I love Susan Winget. I was blessed a few years ago to visit her art studio and meet her and her team. She is a delightful woman and an amazing artist. She is such a great example of how important is to adapt to the changing times with her different styles.